Looking for the same sweet flavor of a traditional cinnamon apple pie without all the added calories? Try this version, made with oats and naturally sweetened sautéed apples.
To start the crust, you’ll need:
¾ cup quick cooking oats
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup shredded coconut (If you’re not a coconut fan, simply add more oats!)
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix together oats, flour, and coconut. Stir in oil and water.
- Press dough into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes until lightly browned.
For the sautéed cinnamon apples you’ll need:
1 Tbsp trans-fat-free margarine
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
½ tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp honey (optional)
- Heat margarine in a pan over medium-high heat. Add apples and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients. Reduce to low heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add sautéed apples to the pie crust and stick it back into the oven for another 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender!