Candy corn is a Halloween classic. Follow this recipe for a tasty vegan alternative!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered soy milk
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan red and yellow food coloring
What you’ll do:
- In a large saucepan, the sugar, agave nectar, vegan butter and vanilla to a light boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Boil the mixture for an additional five minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the mixture from the heat after the five minutes.
- Sift the powdered sugar, powdered soy milk and salt into a medium bowl. Add the dry mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool until slightly warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into three equal parts.
- Add several drops of the yellow food coloring to one piece of dough and knead until the color is even. Repeat using a mixture of red and yellow food coloring to make the orange section of dough. Keep the last section of dough white, but knead until smooth.
- Roll each of the pieces into equally sized ropes. Push the three ropes together to form a long rectangle.
- Using a knife, cut the ropes in into triangles or any shape you desire.